6th Grade General Music
Students work with rhythm in drum circles playing djembes, which were provided through a PTC Innovation Grant.
6th Grade students complete their first composition online, using music notation software called Noteflight.
Marie Murphy students begin their study of guitar in 6th grade and continue playing each year.
Units of Study
- World Music: Using Brad Shank's book Music from Around the World, students will explore the musical cultures of Mexico, the Arab World, India, China, the Caribbean, and more!
- Composition: Students will complete a variety of composition projects, including a Blues composition, a rap, and a GarageBand composition using Apple loops.
- Bucket Band: Students will explore rhythm and percussion techniques using hardware store buckets and drumsticks.
- Guitar: Students will be introduced to the guitar and will learn to play simple melodies.
- Handchimes: Students will be introduced to playing melodies as an ensemble using handchimes.