7th Grade General Music
7th Grade students enjoyed our field trip to see The Phantom of the Opera.
7th Grade students complete an in-depth composition project using Sibelius and GarageBand at our MIDI stations.
7th Grade students learn to play melodies and chords on our class set of guitars.
Units of Study
- Film Score Composers: Students will learn about the process that goes into composing and recording film scores, while also studying the work of important film score composers such as John Williams, Hans Zimmer, Michael Giacchino, Alan Silvestri, James Horner, and others. Students will research the work of their assigned composer and prepare an iMovie presentation to share their research with the class.
- Composition: Students will study composition, beginning with writing a melody over a chord progression. Using Sibelius, students will compose two different melodies to create a piece of music in ternary form. Students will orchestrate their composition using GarageBand and our iMac MIDI stations.
- Musical Theatre: Students will study the history of American musical theatre and will watch a musical in preparation for the annual 7th grade field trip to see a Broadway in Chicago performance. This year, students attended a performance of Andrew Lloyd Webber's The Phantom of the Opera.
- Handchimes: Students will continue their study of reading music notation while playing melodies and chords on the handchimes.
- Guitar: Students will work individually and in small groups to continue their study of the guitar. Students will play more complex melodies and begin to play chords.